Back pain is a reality for everyone from time to time, and it can be caused by a wide range of things. If you are experiencing back pain, it could be the result of one of these common culprits:
- Muscle or ligament strain: Repeated heavy lifting or sudden awkward movements can strain your back muscles and spinal ligaments. For some individuals, this constant strain can lead to muscle spasms.
- Bulging or ruptured spinal discs: The soft material inside of a disc can bulge or rupture and press on a nerve, causing pain.
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis can affect the lower back, and spinal arthritis can lead to a narrowing of the space around the spinal cord.
- Skeletal irregularities: Scoliosis can lead to back pain beginning around middle age.
- Osteoporosis: If your bones become porous and brittle, your spine’s vertebrae can develop compression fractures.
Our physical therapists may be able to help you find relief from your back pain, depending on its cause. Through spinal traction therapy, we are able to help our patients find relief from back pain by stretching and realigning the spine. Visit RhodesPT.net to contact us and see if this therapy could be right for you.