Functional Capacity Evaluations
Whether you’re applying for Medicare, needing disability, or hoping to return to work, Jen at our Farmington physical therapy clinic specializes in performing your functional capacity evaluation and state-of-the-art reporting.
What is a functional capacity evaluation?
A functional capacity evaluation (FCE) is a systematic method to evaluate your ability to reliably perform functional tasks. In its simplest terms, an FCE is a test of your ability to do things.
What tasks are performed during an FCE?
During the FCE, you will be asked to perform multiple tasks and then receive grades based on your ability (or inability) to complete them. Keep in mind: it doesn’t matter how well you perform these tasks compared to other people. This is a measurement to assess YOUR functional capacity.
In order for our staff to perform this exam with the most information at hand, please email or fax us your medical history. Some of the FCE measurable tasks include standing, sitting, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying, and any other work restrictions that are provided from a provider or patient before the exam.
Why do I need an FCE? Your physician may have recommended you get an FCE if:
- You’ve been injured on the job and need to determine your ability to return or do alternate work.
- You are applying for Social Security Disability benefits.
- You are seeking to return to work or volunteer activities after an injury or illness.
- You have been injured in a catastrophic accident (such as an automobile accident) for which an FCE can determine performance skills and abilities related to resuming former employment or a new job.
- You are seeking vocational rehabilitation services.
- You are a student receiving transitional services from school to the work setting to determine your skills and the extent of support required to perform in a job.
Highest-Quality Customized Reporting: Our Utah physical therapy specialists will present the findings from your FCE in a well-organized, easy-to-read report. We pride ourselves on speed and accuracy; our typical turnaround on these reports is one business day. This means your report gets into the right hands faster so an educated decision can be made quickly to determine your best plan of action.
Call Rhodes Physical Therapy today at (801) 447-9339 to schedule your functional capacity evaluation or other physical therapy services.